Sure, "forklifting" an existing solution out to replace it with another one can be expensive, but it does not have to be with proper leadership. It is time to realize that clients make decisions primarily based on value that they perceive, and a real prerequisite for me to perceive value is that I need to trust you.
- Architecture trumps technology each and every time. Never build a situation where you end up with a technology lock-in.
- Be open and receptive to your vendors, but do not let them give you the run-around
- Always have a plan B in place for every technology that you use
- Do not be afraid to use plan B
- If you have the luxury of being able to do so, focus on VALUE rather than on COST